22 August, 2016
They are a food group unto themselves for teenagers. Made by oven or by microwave they are a traditional snack item known to burn the tongue. The question is can they be duplicated, bettered at home. Well, I tried.
The Pepperoni Roll Challenge
I was challenged by my college bound son to make his favorite snackfood for his best buddies on the last night they were spending together before going their separate ways. Wow, talk about pressure. Added to that pressure was the late hour, I didn’t begin my production until 11:00 pm. This is their typical gathering time.
Pepperoni rolls have a lot to do with the crust. It should taste homemade, yet crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. These weren’t as crispy as I would have liked. The next gathering I will substitute won-ton wrappers to achieve that crispy edge.
They liked them! They were good, but they weren’t really pepperoni rolls. At least the traditional store bought kind. Though frustrated, I now know what I am up against and will prepare in a few months for my redemption.
So, Why Should You Make Them?
Well, if you’re looking for a yummy homemade appetizer, theses are a treat. Chewy, cheesy and saucy all in one bite. They are really quite delightful and easy to prepare. Stay tuned for crispy!
- 2 Pillsbury Pizza Crusts, cut into small squares
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ cup mozzarella
- ½ cup prepared pizza sauce
- ½ cup pepperoni, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease two large trays.
- Place small squares of dough an inch apart on the tray.
- Sprinkle each square with oregano.
- Add a pinch of mozzarella, ¼ teaspoon of sauce, and a pinch of pepperoni to each square.
- Fold over each square making a ½ moon shape.
- Crimp edges to seal in the sauce.
- Brush lightly with beaten egg.